PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 75 minutes
YIELD: 8 servings
Few foods are as comforting as pot pie fresh out of the oven. We took that timeless feeling and made it plant-based, stuffing our pies with Very British Bangers, herbs and spices, and all the veggies you could dream of. It’s the perfect pie for a rainy day. Or a sunny day, for that matter.
- 1 pkg (397 g) frozen puff pastry*
- 1 pkg Very British Bangers
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 celery, diced
- 3 carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp dried sage
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened plant-based milk
- salt and pepper
*Be sure puff pastry is plant-based.
- Defrost puff pastry according to directions.
- Preheat the oven to 400F and set a 2 qt oven safe baking dish aside.
- In a large pan over medium heat, add oil and sauté bangers for 5-7 minutes or until golden. Set aside.
- In the same pot, adding more oil if needed, sauté onions, garlic, celery, and carrots for 5-7 minutes or until tender. Add in wine, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, simmer and reduce for 5 minutes.
- Stir in herbs and flour until well mixed and thick. Slowly stir in broth and plant-based milk. While stirring constantly, bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, and allow to thicken for 2-5 minutes.
- Stir in bangers and season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Pour mixture into the baking dish.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry to about 12 x 9 inches or to a size that will fit on top of your baking dish.
- Gently place puff pastry on top of the baking dish, trim sides to fit. Make a small “X” score into the center to allow steam to release.
- Bake uncovered for 45-55 minutes or until filling is bubbling and pastry is golden brown. If pastry begins to get too browned, loosely cover with foil.
- Let stand for 15 minutes. Serve with mashed sweet potatoes and plant-butter peas.
Be sure to share your Vegan Pot Pie Recipe with us using #TheVeryGoodButchers and tagging @theverygoodbutchers.