Let's recreate the ball park favourite, with a Very Good Butchers twist, we're calling it the Very Good Taco Chili Dog. A classic elevated with plant-based chili and a cheese sauce that oozes goodness all over the Very Good Dogs and artisanal buns. Made with navy beans, stuffed of veggies and full of flavour in every bite. You'll find yourself pulling out the second pack of dogs to make this recipe twice.
Please note that the chili and cheese sauce makes enough for 8 dogs, but the recipe is only for 4 dogs. We recommend cutting the chili and cheese sauce in half for one pack of dogs. Or using up the rest of the chili as leftovers.
Photos & Recipe by Dexterous Vegan
Taco Chili Dog
Prep Time: 20 Minutes Total Time: 60 minutes Yield: 4 good dogs
Very Good Butchers Items
- 1 pack of Taco Stuffer
- 1 packs of Very Good Dogs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- ½ of a green chili, diced (feel free to add more if you like it spicy)
- 1 jalapeno, diced (feel free to add more if you like it spicy)
- 1.5 cups black beans, cooked
- 1.5 cups kidney beans, cooked
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¾ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp taco seasoning
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp chopped fresh oregano can use dried oregano
- 1 ½ tbsp chopped cilantro (can omit)
- Juice of 1 lime (approx. 2 tbsp)
- ¼ cup of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hot dog buns
- 2 medium potatoes roughly chopped
- 2 medium carrots roughly chopped
- 2-3 tbsp water*
- 1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped (for added flavour roast the garlic)
- ⅛ tsp smoked paprika
- ⅛ tsp turmeric (optional for color)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
*may need to add more water depending on blenders power
For serving (optional)
Fresh cilantro, salsa, chopped jalapeños, guacamole, lime wedges
Cooking the Chili
- 1. Add the olive oil to a large pot over medium heat then add the onion, carrot, bell peppers, and garlic season with a sprinkle of salt and pepper; cook for 5-6 minutes until softened. Add the cumin and chili powder to the vegetables at this time. Add the chili pepper and jalapeno to the chili. Cook for another 1-2 minutes until well combined and fragrant.
- Next add the Taco Stuffer into the pot and use a wooden spoon to break it up; cook for 5-6 minutes until golden and slightly crispy. Then add the black beans, red kidney beans to the chili. Add the rest of the spices (oregano and taco seasoning) and cilantro then stir everything together.
- Pour in the can of diced tomatoes, add the water; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered for 45 minutes.
- Pour in the lime juice then have a taste, adjust seasoning if necessary. For a thinner chili add water and for a thicker chili simmer until desired consistency is reached.
Making the ‘Cheese’ Sauce
*You can either boil or steam your potatoes and carrots I prefer steaming
- Fill a pot with about 1 inch of water then place a steamer basket inside the pot. Place the potatoes and carrots in the steamer basket; bring to a boil. Cover the pot and cook the vegetables until tender approx. 10-15 minutes. Set aside to cool
- Add the steamed vegetables plus the remaining ingredients to a blender and blitz until smooth.
Grill the Very Good Dogs
- Follow the cooking instructions on the back of the package. Then bring it all together and dig in.
Toast the buns on the grill or in the oven for a few minutes until toasty. Add a very good dog to each bun then top with 1-2 tbsp of chili then pour the cheese sauce over the chili. Top with diced onions, chopped avocado, sliced jalapeños, and any other fixings you enjoy.
Be sure to share your Taco Chili Dog with us using #TheVeryGoodButchers and tagging @theverygoodbutchers.